Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Truth about Breastfeeding



The truth is, most people don't know anything about breastfeeding. I am still learning things after 3 babies and 44 months. A recent post on a site I frequent got me upset, even though I laughed about it, too. I just can't believe people actually think like that. I thought to myself, "How ignorant this lady is". This would be a very long blog post if I talked about every aspect of breastfeeding, so I won't do that. There is already a ton of information out there, so I will just touch on my experiences and what I have learned.



Common Problems:

Lack of knowledge - Most doctors are not trained in breastfeeding and breastfed babies do not follow the formula fed baby weight charts. 

Bad latch - Not getting baby on your breast properly.

Tongue tie or lip tie - This is a congenital condition in which the lingual (tongue) or labial (lip) frenulum is too tight, causing restrictions in movement that can cause significant difficulty with breastfeeding and, in some instances, other health concerns like dental, digestive and speech issues.

Over active let down - Your milk comes out too fast and baby doesn't like it.

Your out put when pumping is no indication of how much your baby actually gets. If your having problems ditch the pump and just work with baby.

Each of these things can be over come. Kellymom.com is a great site to help with all sorts of issues you might have.

I guess I was pretty lucky or blessed that I never had a hard time breastfeeding.  Or else I just didn't think some things about breastfeeding were very hard. I actually enjoy it for the most part. I will tell you, though, it was a fear of mine with my first pregnancy that I wouldn't be able to breastfeed. I look it up on the internet and read about breastfeeding and watched videos to prepare myself.

I think a lot of people just think that they are going to do it and it should be easy, right? Its natural, so shouldn't it come naturally? Wrong. It's something new and both you and baby have to learn it.

The first six weeks are the hardest. When Lily was born she wanted to nurse, and nurse, and nurse. No kidding, she nursed for 3 hours straight that first day she was born. I learned later that, it's a good for them to do. It was bringing in my milk. What comes out the first few days or so after baby is born is not milk. It's colostrum. It takes a few days for your actual milk to come in and for some women several days (5-7).

When my milk came in with Emma, I was very engorged and it hurt really bad. Pumping did not help. I found out later that pumping can actually make it worse. Milk production is all about supply and demand. It changes for the needs of your baby. How cool is that?! I think because Emma wanted to sleep for long periods of time at night when she was a newborn, she was not "empting me". Most people do get engorged when their milk comes in. Its part of breastfeeding.

After your milk comes in, you start leaking like crazy. It just starts coming out for what seems like no reason at all. It's sticky stuff, too. But I much prefer the smell and taste of breast milk as apposed to formula. Have you ever tasted formula? Gross! Most breast milk is sweet tasting. Some mothers do have a more sour tasting milk, though.

I am now nursing my third baby and loving it! Thinking we might go to 2 years just because she is my last baby! She seems like my baby still when she is nursing and I know this time will go by fast and she won't want to stay in my lap this long ever again.







No comments:

Post a Comment