Wednesday, June 19, 2013

My thoughts on Homeschooling.



First off, let me just say that I went to public school. I did not like school. I had a hard time in school. I wasn't the best student. I was also bullied. More than that, I was very distracted by just wanting to talk to my friends. Now, I want to separate school time from friend time.  Has this played a part in me deciding to homeschool my children? You bet. 

I know everyone has different experiences in life. What I experienced is not what everyone did and not everyone has to think like me. If you want to have your kids in public school, that's your right. I just want to clear up some misconceptions about homeschooling.  It bothers me how often people seem to express concerns about homeschooling that are based on what they imagine homeschooling is like, when it is not.

Here's the top two things people ask me when I tell them I am homeschooling my children..
  1. How will they be socialized?
  2. Are you smart enough to teach your children?
Number 1. Those who wonder how a homeschooled child will get social interaction probably don't know many homeschoolers. That said, even if someone wanted to keep their kids locked up at home, away from all the influences of the world, I wouldn't blame them. Not all socialization is good socialization, especially for young children who are easily influenced.

Socialization can come in many more forms than just public school. For example, my children are very active socially. I teach gymnastics lessons to young children during the week. Often, my kids come with me to participate. When they don't, they are playing over at a friend's house. We have church every week, where they have Sunday School, and get to play with the other kids after service. They get to interact not only with kids their own age, but with people of all different ages.

You do not need eight hours a day to socialize with kids your own age. For that matter, you do not need eight hours a day to learn, if you have the one on one attention that homeschooling provides. Public schooling mixes learning and socialization into the same eight hours, and this often means that neither gets done very well. Better to get your learning done without distractions in a much shorter period of time, and have the rest of the day to engage in social activities.

Number 2.  I'm not sure why people don't think a little more about that question.There are tons of resources out there to help parents to teach their children.  It's not like you have to think up everything all on your own. Public school teachers do not have to come up with their lessons either. They are given a curriculum. According to Washington state law I am qualified to teach my children because I have some college education.

Home schooling is not easy. Guess I like to do things the hard way. It can also be very easy. Kids pick up things so quick fun they are having fun. Lily has leaned a lot of things all on her own. I have provided the means for her to learn with out pushing it. She doesn't even know she is doing "school"

I will put up a serious fight for my children to be able to be taught by me at home.

We believe in God and want to instill that in our children. That is a pretty big part of wanting to home school. Are we brainwashing our children? Depends on your definition. According to what  I found that word is a little harsh we are not hurting our children. We are teaching them what we believe. And if you as a parent aren't teaching your children what they should believe you can bet some one else is. Can you teach your children what to believe and still send them to public school? Sure. I just don't want any competition. Call me a religious fanatic I don't care. We believe God is very important part of life. We want our children to love and know him. It's not just about this life but the life to come.

 Here is a list of other Myths about homeschooling debunked, by Julie Ryan Evans.

Myth #1: All homeschoolers are crazy eccentrics.
Actuality: A popular misconception is that homeschoolers are children of religious fanatics who want to keep their offspring separated from the evils of the world, or hippy-dippy folks who have opted out of mainstream structures. The truth is that people from all walks of life and all areas of the world homeschool these days. As more parents are breaking through the misconceptions of homeschooling, and recognizing the incredible opportunities available to their children, they are opting for the method.

Myth #2: Homeschooled children are lonely and isolated.
Actuality: No matter what path we choose for our children, we will be confronted by challenges. Ensuring that our homeschooled kids stay connected to other children their age is an important issue that needs to be addressed and not dismissed. Because there is not a built-in community of peers as found in the traditional school system, it’s important for parents of homeschoolers to provide play dates and activities with friends. The concern that our child might become isolated and lonely is valid, but it is also easily remedied by signing them up for activities like scouting, martial arts classes, sports, or 4H.  

Myth #3: Kids who are homeschooled won't be able to function in the "real world."
Actuality: Homeschoolers spend their days in the real world, interacting with those of different age ranges, cultures, and economic levels. The misconception is that they’re sitting at home all day cut off from the world. In fact, they’re shopping, banking, interacting with others, and it’s through these interactions, that they learn to respect others, form friendships, resolve conflicts and cooperate with others. Many studies show that homeschoolers are actually better prepared to handle the realities of life because they are more confident and self-assured. They exhibit greater leadership skills and a stronger work ethic.


Myth #4: Kids who are homeschooled will never get into college.
Actuality: Homeschoolers are more likely to attend college (74% vs. 46% of traditional students.) More colleges like Dartmouth, UC Berkeley, and Yale are actively recruiting homeschoolers because they recognize the unique qualities that they offer -- they are self-motivated and self-disciplined. Homeschoolers have higher GPA’s than their counterparts, and they score 15-30 percentile points higher above public school students on standardized test scores. They also score higher on college admission tests like the SAT’s and ACT’s.

Myth #5: Homeschooling is just an excuse for kids to goof off all day.
Actuality: Homeschoolers can accomplish in a few hours what takes a typical classroom a week or more to cover. There is so much busy work and wasted time in the traditional school system. A common question among new homeschool parents is, “What were they doing in school all day?” Once these parents know how little time it takes to complete the course curriculum, they’re left wondering what was being taught during the 6-8 hours their kids were away (especially given the mountains of homework coming back each evening.) So what do homeschoolers do with all of their free time? They explore subjects that pique their interest. They visit museums and points of interest around their communities. They work ahead, read books that appeal to them, and experience the freedom to explore in depth topics that are only minimally covered in the classroom. They also have the time to do what kids are supposed to do -- play.

Myth #6: Even if I wanted to homeschool my kids, I wouldn't be qualified.
Actuality: One of the biggest misconceptions of homeschooling is that as a parent you have to have all of the answers in order to be qualified. Many parents don’t feel they have the education to tackle this task. Most school districts provide the course curriculum for your child -- and that includes the syllabus, tests, and the answer keys. Your child learns to work independently, and when needed, you job is to help them look up key information and answers to questions. With the right resources and commitment, you have everything it takes to succeed.


Here's what home school looks like for us.












No comments:

Post a Comment